Home
Banners

SLEMON PARK: OUR HISTORY

What is now Slemon Park was built in 1940 as a base to support the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The base was named RCAF Station Summerside in 1941 and became home to No. 9 Service Flying Training School for pilots, No. 53 Air Cadet Squadron, and No. 1 General Reconnaissance School for pilots and navigators. In 1948, the RCAF Air Navigation School was established to provide training for pilots and navigators. As more people came to work and train on the base, more local housing was needed. Starting in 1949, houses, roads, and a school were built, and the new residential area was named Slemon Park in honor of Air Vice Marshall Roy Slemon. 

RCAF Station Summerside began a new role in 1953 under Maritime Air Command as the No. 2. Maritime Operational Training Unit. Then in 1959, the Maritime Proving and Evaluation Unit was established in Summerside, and the contract to build the big cantilever Hangar 8 building was awarded.   In February 1968, RCAF Station Summerside was renamed Canadian Forces Base Summerside. Later that year, 413 Transport and Rescue Squadron was established as the prime search and rescue unit on Canada’s east coast. The Junior Leadership school was formed in 1974 to develop leadership potential for the Canadian Armed Forces. The 880 Maritime Reconnaissance Squadron and the 420 Air Reserve Squadron moved to Summerside in 1981.

CFB Summerside was closed in 1989, and in April 1992, the property was transferred to its current owner, Slemon Park Corporation, a commercial and residential property management and development company.  Slemon Park  now hosts some of the world's finest companies and training organizations in aviation, aerospace, police and security training, and other commercial activities.  The newly revamped Air Force Heritage Park PEI features three aircraft from Slemon Park’s proud history—the Tracker, the Argus, and the Voodoo—as representatives of the many aircraft that called the park their base, such as the Anson, the Buffalo, the Dakota, the Harvard, the Labrador helicopter, and the Lancaster.

Gallery

Anson

Argus

Dakota

Lab Helicopter

Harvard

Lancaster

Tracker

Buffalo